The ruins of the ancient fortress (the fortilitium Gardonae) are located in the area of Gardona, north of the town of Castellavazzo. The site is easily reachable by following the path that winds above the railway line from the cement factory, retracing the ancient route of the Roman road.
Only the remains of the tower, which had an unusual triangular shape, are left of the extensive structure. Nearby, the stone quarry that provided the material for the construction of the castle still exists.
Referred to as fortilitium Gardonae, it was built in 1171 by Bishop Ottone of Belluno at the border with Cadore (then part of the patriarchate of Aquileia). However, it is likely that its origins were older, dating back to the time of the barbarian invasions.
Together with the castle of San Giorgio of Soccher, it was part of a larger system for the defense of the bishopric county. Over time, it gained increasing importance, absorbing the functions of Castellum Laebactium, located further downstream, near the town of Castellavazzo.
The castle was involved in the fighting of the War of the League of Cambrai. Subsequently, after a long period of stability, it remained unused and fell into decay.